Why Spiders Spin webs ?
The spiders web is actually a trap to catch prey.Beneath the spider`s body , there are tiny openings from which it can produce very fine , strong silk thread. The spider fastens the end of this thread to something firm , like a twig or a beam or any piece of furniture . It then goes round and round secreting the silk thread and spinning a wheel of almost invisible gossamer thread.. Later it spins " spokes" to this wheel which strengthen the structure. The spider now patiently waits until a fly gets stuck in its web. And then lunch is ready !
Why Do we Sneeze ?
Atichhooo ! couldn`t stop that sneeze? Howcome?
It is because the act of sneezing is an involuntary one. Sneezing just happens . When we breathe in dust or have a cold , the inside lining of our nose, which is very sensitive, gets irritated. We take a deep breath and when our lungs fill with air , our windpipe closes , our stomach muscles compress the air . Then our windpipe opens again and the air flies out suddenly , in a sneeze which blows the irritating offender out from our nose
Strange But True
- Amazon army ants sometimes travel in groups upto 20 million strong. They destroy and eat everything in their path.
- The rare kakapo parrot lays one egg every four years.
- The coelacanth fish was thought to be extinct for 70 million years , until one was found alive in 1938.
- The Humming bird is the only bird that can fly backwards.
- It takes an elephant calf six months to learn how to use its trunk.