Mussoorie, popularly known as the queen of hill stations, is located in the Garhwal hills near Dehradun. Blessed with immense natural beauty, Mussoorie derived its name from plants of `Mussoorie`, which were found in abundance here. Mussoorie is a best hang out for summer-stricken North Indians and young honeymooners. This picturesque hill station gradually developed as a center of education, business, tourism and beauty. It also has advantage of proximity to the major Hindu pilgrimages like Kedarnath, Badrinath, Gangotri, Yamunotri, Haridwar, Rishikesh are not far from this place.
Places to see :
There are many beautiful places in Mussoorie that attract tourists and adventure-seekers. A few to name are;
- Gun Hill, the second highest peak connected by a ropeway troly to the Mall;
- Kempty Falls, the biggest and prettiest falls in this area;
- Camel`s Back Road for a picturesque walk with views of the Himalayas;
- Lal Tibba, the highest peak and an excellent trek, and the Jheel, a beautiful picnic spot.
How to reach :
- By Air : The nearest Airport to Mussoorie is Jolly Grant. It is 60 kms away from Mussoorie in Dehradun.
- By Rail : Mussoorie does not have a railhead of its own. The overnight Mussoorie Express links Delhi to Dehradun, the railhead for Mussoorie.
- By Road : The road network of the entire state is very convenient. A good network of highways and national highways connects almost all the major towns and cities. Delhi to Mussoorie is 290 km by road. Dehradun to Mussoorie is 35 km.